Trust me, you will be amazed at how good you feel after drinking lemon water daily for just one week. Every morning when you wake up and before you eat breakfast (on an empty stomach) squeeze all the juice from 1/4 of a fresh lemon into 2 cups of warm (but not hot) filtered water. Mix it up and the the water should be cloudy - that's how you'll know if there's enough lemon juice in it.
If you find it too strong tasting just start with less lemon juice and slowly increase it as you get use to the taste. You can prep your lemons by cutting them into quarters and storing them in the fridge.
1) Cleanses the body: Lemon water helps the liver to cleanse and detox by increasing it's detoxifying enzymes. Your liver is absolutely essential to your health and well-being so why not support it when you can? Having more detoxifying enzymes also takes a load off the kidneys which filter your blood.
2) Lemon water alkalizes your body (aka balances your pH): While lemons are very acidic on their own, they have a very alkalizing effect on the body. Why is pH so important? It’s simple - cancer cells can’t grow in an alkaline environment. Keeping your body slightly alkaline by consuming alkalizing foods is extremely important to your overall health. (So is limiting acid-forming foods like dairy, animal proteins and high amounts of processed sugar.) Lemon also naturally increases your digestive secretions so that acidic wastes are eliminated more effectively.
3) Increases bile: The citric acid in lemon stimulates the liver's secretion of digestive bile which is then sent to the gallbladder for storage. Bile, as well as fibre, is a carrier of toxins. So when you have a bowel movement stimulated by drinking lemon water, you are more likely to be eliminating waste products. This also helps to prevent constipation.
4) Glowing skin: After a few weeks of drinking lemon water you may notice that your skin is brighter, and your blemishes are reduced. The health of your digestive system and your liver are directly linked to the health of your skin.
5) Reduces heartburn: This might sound odd, but most people who suffer from heartburn are actually under-producing stomach acid. Lemon water helps the stomach to produce more hydrochloric acid which is needed to break down and digest your food. This reduces the amount of mechanical churning the stomach has to do to break down the food and therefore creating less acid reflux.
Tip - Add a dash of cayenne pepper to your lemon water to boost your metabolism and further increase your digestive enzyme production. Sip each morning to enjoy the health benefits listed above.
If you are worried about the health of your teeth enamel when drinking lemon water, you can opt to drink it through a straw instead!