As promised in my last blog post Alcohol Free for 60 Days, I have prepared a few absolutely delicious non-alcoholic summer drink recipes! It's so important that we're staying hydrated, especially in this heat. We are well into the local patio season but we need to remember to rehydrate with water! Alcohol will only dehydrate us more. There are many negative implications of being dehydrated or not drinking enough water in the heat.
A few negative effects of not drinking enough water include:
Fatigue, tiredness, lethargy
Impaired elimination of toxins through the skin (which can lead to premature wrinkling, dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema)
Elevated blood pressure
Dull or dry skin
Puffiness or swelling and inflammation
Joint pain or stiffness
Digestive disorders such as ulcers, gastritis, and acid reflux
Read more here about how consuming clean water is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle.
Without further ado, here are your deliciously hydrating summer drink recipes. Enjoy!
1) Basil Berry Spritzer
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup sparkling water
Small handful of fresh basil
- Juice strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a juicer
- Divide the juiced berries equally amongst two glasses and top with sparkling water
- Add ice and garnish with basil
2) Peppermint Blueberry Iced Tea
- Steep peppermint tea bag with blueberries in hot water for 3-5 minutes
- Place in fridge or dilute with ice until chilled
- Serve with mint leaves